*World Health Organization, 2016
If you have a severe-to-profound hearing loss you might recognize some of these key challenges:
- Noisy environments – it’s extremely hard to follow a conversation in a busy environment with a lot of background noise
- Less clarity of speech – even if sounds are made louder, for example with hearing aids, important sounds like speech may not be clear
- Telephone conversations – talking on the phone is extremely difficult or even impossible
Have you noticed that you start to use coping strategies to manage and take control over different listening situations? Some of the most common coping strategies include:
- Visual clues – people with severe-to-profound hearing loss depend a lot on visual clues e.g. lip reading (a study shows that people get 70% better speech understanding using facetime video and voice streaming compared to a regular call**)
- Noisy environments– do you always try to find the quiet corner to minimize the noise?
- Big meeting rooms – do you place yourself close to the speaker(s) to be able to hear what is being said?