There are a variety of tinnitus causes.
- Aging: Some tinnitus is associated with age-related hearing loss. As you age, the amount of nerve fibers in your ears decrease, possibly causing hearing problems often associated with tinnitus.
- Loud noise: Another of the most common tinnitus causes is loud noise. If you’ve been exposed to loud music, gunshots or explosions, or loud noise from construction or gardening machines, you may find yourself suffering from tinnitus.
- Earwax: Sometimes earwax blockage can also cause tinnitus.
- Medications: Some medications also appear to be tinnitus causes, with tinnitus as a side effect.
- Other: Upper respiratory infections or jap popping joint (TMJ) disorders can also cause tinnitus.